Built in 1893 by master stonemason, Alexander H. Dyas, for he and his family of 10, the house has undergone many transformations over the past 130 years. A private residence for decades, the main house was donated by Edith Hatfield to Cumberland County in 1947 for the development of the South Cumberland Memorial Hospital.
For nearly 30 years after, South Cumberland Memorial Hospital was a place of health and healing with hallways filled with caring doctors and nurses, with many precious, newborn babies (thus, the Delivery Room remains even today!).
By 1975, Parrsboro had outgrown the hospital in this location and built a new facility. The hospital was sold to the Levy family who turned the property back into a private residence, selling the property to the Boles family in the mid-1980s.
The Boles family turned the already-historic property into a multi-room inn. They turned the main house into a 5-bedroom facility and quickly established a bustling business. The Boles soon purchased the historic house next door - a former Methodist parsonage, and what had been the Tupper and Canning family home for more than 40 years. The Boles converted the former parsonage into four additional ensuite rooms and joined the two properties together with the addition of a bright and airy sunroom that bathed the centre of the house with light.
Since the opening of The Maple Inn, there have only been four owner/operators who have lived & worked here. Each family has meticulously curated the property, maintaining the building's historic integrity as best as possible, while lovingly and carefully updating it in order to meet the needs of today's traveler. Because of their dedication, the Maple Inn will continue to be a landmark destination for generations to come, and will continue to be a place of provincial pride for the people of Parrsboro.
Copyright © 2022 The Maple Inn - All Rights Reserved. Website Created By Nova Social Media & Marketing